Saturday 21 April 2012

Human nature at its best...and at its worst.

Watching this film provoked a whole series of reactions in me. I laughed, I cried and I was downright angry at times too. It is also one of the best films I have ever seen and I recommend it unreservedly. What compounded the anger in me was the fact that this film is based on the truth. None of it was, sadly, hard to believe, when it shouldn't be this way. The way that black Americans were treated and the grace and dignity with which they generally accepted this horrific treatment was really striking. The courage of the heroine, Eugenia/Skeeter was truly inspiring. Risking her career, her family life, her friends and even her life to help tell the story of black maids (or rather, "The Help", as they were called by their bosses) she finally gave them a voice where they'd previously suffered in silence. There were some hilarious moments to break up the angry and sad emotions, and I laughed out loud, mainly at sassy Minnie, who is your classic black and American lady...real, honest and warm but with attitude (in a good way). Despite the tears at the ending, this is truly a feel good film and I can't sing the praises of the film or of everyone involved in its production, highly enough.

1 comment:

  1. What's sad is that that is truly how black Americans were treated back then. I hate racism and discrimination. We're all the same on the inside; we just come in different packaging is all, that's how I look at it. I really am thinking about reading this book, since I'm going bonkers trying to find something to read!!

    ReplyDelete