Wednesday 31 October 2012

Roving with Roland.

At first glance, it's a brilliant idea - a portable setup with 6 channels, perfect for recording 5.1 surround sound when out and about on location. I am definitely glad I have it. It can power an additional two condensor microphones at 40 volts, which is just as well because the front microphones are rather clunky and don't really record so well. Really, it should have hit the mark there and then, but I'm not entirely convinced by the R-26 because of this. It's definitely a useful tool though, and I have enjoyed exploring it and seeing how good it really is. Given that this is a portable device, I would hazard a guess at saying it would be best used outdoors, as opposed to indoors. It would sound more natural, as opposed to being expected to act as a studio built into a portable unit. Aesthetically, it is rather big and heavy and looks a bit like something out of Star Trek, and the accessories kit was a massive letdown; I would avoid it at all costs. It is sturdy and rugged enough, ideal for use outdoors.

No comments:

Post a Comment